Microsoft SQL Server 2012 introduces many features that help database administrators, database developers, and BI developers.
In this article, I will cover some of the new features for database developers in these main points:
- Database Engine Improvements
- Improvements to SQL Server Management Studio Debugging
- Changes to the Scope of Objects
Database Engine Improvements:
- File Tables:When we open up SQL Server Management Studio, one of the first changes we notice for SQL Server 2012 is the addition of a new type of table called a File Table.
File table allows us to make a connection between windows share and a database table such that any file that appears in the share will become a row item in the table.
It allows us to run queries that tell us how many files we have in that shared location, what type of files, what size the files are, etc….
Setting this up is a multiple step process:
- Enable file stream: is The first step we have to do at the instance level.We will do that with the configuration manager tool, open properties of the instance we are interested in, and there is a tab for file stream, in there we should click on all of the checkboxes(enabling all features) as below
To complete the article check it HERE