Most of DBA are coming from On-premise Database Servers they know very well How we can manage SQL backup using SQL Server native backup or even using SQL Server Backup third party tool but when we moved our database to cloud (Azure SQL) all of us starting to ask How the backup is taken in Azure for SQL Database, what is the RTO and RPO, How I can restore the backup all of this information I will list them in my article of today.Continue reading “What you need to know About Azure SQL backup”
One of the tasks that any DBA should know How to take backup to URL or restore a backup from URL and this’s the easiest part very simple steps and command but this is not our main objective, we should understand all of the components how it is working, what is the different options, what is the changes happened before SQL Server 2016 and After SQL Server 2016 to take the maximum benefits from this service or feature here in my article I will try to conclude all of this things as much as I can.
- Benefits from taking backup to URL.
- What is Azure Storage Blob?
- What are the Pre-requisites to do SQL backup on the URL?
- What is the Difference between SAS Token and access key Azure Storage
- When I Should use SAS Token or access key Azure Storage
- When the Backup files will be saved as Block Blob or Page Blob
- How to Generate and configure Access Policy, Access key, and Shared Access Signature
- Create SQL Server Credential using access key or SHARED ACCESS SIGNATURE
- Backup to Azure Storage and restore from Azure Storage.
- Validate the Backup File.
- Notes and Limitation for SQL backup to URL.
- References and Resources.
One of the interesting feature announced in SQL Server 2016 and later to move your cold data to Azure and the data will be accessible from your APP with ZERO development cost no change in the APP level at all and no change on the Query level in SQL Server it is just configuration and implementation for Stretch Database from on-premises to Azure, IF you are DBA and you have tables with big size and you need to reduce it, if you have Cold data and the APP not accessing it frequently, If you need to reduce the backup and restore time at this time this feature for you.
Before starting on the benefits of this feature and How to implement it I highly recommend you to take a look into this page to learn more about Azure SQL https://lnkd.in/edn6nyY/#AzureSQL
- Benefits from SQL Server Stretch Database
- How to Configure the SQL Server Stretch Database to Azure
- Validate the Database Stretch configuration and Data movement
- How to Disable the Stretch data
- Keep Following
- Cloud Tech Website blog survey
Microsoft azure providing multiple options for Azur SQL Database Tier, supported Azure Single Database, Azure Elastic Database, and Azure managed instance before starting for what is the options and the details of it if you need to learn more about Azure SQL provisioning, security, High availability, Performance, …etc. check this link you will find very useful articles covering the most basic topics in Azure SQL Database. ➡️ https://lnkd.in/eABFfrs 💨✅ Today I will start to explain the Purchase mode and database tiers related to Azure SQL Single, Azure SQL Elastic Database and Azure SQL Manged instance.
- Azure purchasing models
- Azure SQL Single Database Tiers Options
- Azure Single Database Tiers on DTU-Based
- Azure Single Database Tiers on vCore-Based (GP)
- Azure Single Database Tiers on vCore-Based (Hyperscale)
- Azure Single Database Tiers on vCore-Based (Business Critical)
- Azure Elastic Database Tiers Options
- Azure Elastic Database Tiers on DTU-Based
- Azure Elastic Database Tiers on vCore-Based
- Azure SQL Managed Instance Tiers
- Keep Following
Azure purchasing models:
Microsoft Azure supported two Purchase model:
- DTU-Based Model: Supported Azure SQL Database only
- vCore-Based Model: Supported Azure SQL Database and Managed instance
Continue reading “Azure SQL Database Tiers Options”
For more information check this article
What is Azure Automatic Tuning Feature
Microsoft Azure SQL Database Automatic tuning one of the monitoring and tuning features we can use it on Azure SQL for more information about other monitoring and tuning services check this Article, Automatic tuning is a fully managed intelligent performance service used for collecting the Azure SQL Database Workload and monitor queries executed on a database continuously, and it is working based on AI Artificial intelligence and ML Machine Learning technologies, with Automatic tuning Azure SQL will automatically capture all of the performance issues and analyze it then will create a new index or drop index based on the performance case, even one of the capabilities of this services after applying the performance solution it will be under validating based on the AI and ML technologies and if the Azure Automatic tuning found this solution not fixed the issue, it will rollback it automatically, all of this actions will be recorded in the logs to be able to track itContinue reading “Azure SQL Database Automatic Tuning Feature”