Azure Storage it is the container for your data that you can save on it the Hot data and Cool data. but what is the best storage types i need it (Blob, File Shares, Tables, Queues)? and what is the Storage Performance and Storage kind (V1, V2,..) and what about the high availability and disaster recovery for my data.based on all of this options you will be able to determined the best azure storage kind for your Business. So before creating any Storage account you should consider the (Location, performance, Kind, replication, access tier)
After reading this post i recommend you to read this post to complete the full picture about how to manage azure storage and for more azure posts check this link by all of my azure posts and articles
IF you are interested to read more articles in the same subject here is below :
- Managing and implementing Azure storage
- How To Monitor Azure Storage Account
- Create Storage Account Using PowerShell and CLI Command
Azure Storage Location
When you are creating any resource in Azure Microsoft asking you about the location because not all locations have full azure features. That’s why the location is the the key that will determined on it the features you will have it on the Storage account. e.g. If you selected Australia Center and selected the performance premium storage you will have two kind of storage account only general Purpose V2 and General Purpose V1 but if you selected East US 2 you will have another choices in the storage kind like BlockblobStorage and FileStorage.
Azure Storage types
We have 4 types (Blobs, Tables, File Shares, Queues) for more information check this post
Azure Storage Performance
We have two options Stander option (HDD Disks) and Premium option (SDD Disks).
Azure Storage account Kind
We have 5 Types (V1, V2, BlobStorage, BlockBlobStorage, FileStorge)depended on your choice for azure Storage performance (Stander or Premium) and each type from the 5 types supported some some azure Storage types from the 4 types (Blobs, Tables, file shares , Queues) and supported also some replication types from the 6 types. below image it will explain to you all of this words.
and to know each type from the 5 account storage kind supported which storage type (Blobs, Tables, File Shares, Queues) look into below image
You can upgrade from V1 to V2 without any downtime.
V1 not recommended by azure because it does not have the latest feathers and not supported the best prices for GB.
Azure Storage Replications and redundancy options
Microsoft provide 6 types of replications depended on the locations and the storage account kind
- Locally redundant storage (LRS): (Data will be replicated into 3 rack power inside the local location) LRS is Simple low cost replication Strategy and the data here replicated (L) Locally on the same data center as we know the data saved on storage unites or by another definition (a rack power) and inside the data center Microsoft have multiple storage units so when you select LRS this means your data replicated inside the same data center on 3 storage units that’s why it is low cost replication . for more information check this article.
- Zone-redundant storage(ZRS) : (Data will be replicated into 3 zones inside the local location) ZRS When you select the location while crating the Storage account each location have multiplied zones in the same region and inside the zone we have data center so ZRS (Zone-redundant storage) option it means replicating the data synchronously into 3 availability zones inside the primary region for your location. For more information check this article.
- Geo-redundant storage (GRS): (data will be replicated into 3 Physical locations and inside each location will be replicated to 3 Rack power without accessing the data in the secondary locations) GRS It is one of the disaster recovery solutions because it is replicating the data synchronously into 3 regions (Physical locations) using the LRS (Locally redundant storage) this means if you host data in East US 2 location and you selected to replicate it to West US 2 location the data will be replicated inside the locations as LRS and it will replicated to another locations using GRS but add in your note you will not be able to access the data in the other location unless you do failover so you will access only the primary location. For more information check this article.
- Read access Geo-Redundant storage (RA-GRS): (data will be replicated into 3 Physical locations and inside each location will be replicated to 3 Rack power with accessing the data in the secondary locations as Read-only) RA-GRS it is combination between LRS and GRS it is the same concept of GRS but it will give you the availability to access the data as read only on the secondary Physical locations. For more information check this article.
- Geo-zone-redundant storage (GZRS): (Data will be replicated into 3 Physical locations and inside each location will be replicated in 3 zones without accessing the data in the secondary locations) GZRS replicating the data synchronously into 3 Rejoins (Physical locations) using the ZRS (Zone-redundant storage) this means if you host data in East US 2 and you selected to replicate it to West US 2 the data will be replicated inside the location as ZRS on 3 zones in the same location and it will replicated to the other locations using GZRS but add in your note you will not be able to access the data in the other location unless you do failover so you will access only the primary location. For more information check this article.
- Read access Geo-zone-redundant storage (RA-GZRS): (Data will be replicated into 3 Physical locations and inside each location will be replicated into 3 zones with accessing the data in the secondary locations as read-only) RA-GZRS it is combination between ZRS and GZRS For more information check this article.
The last 4 Types of replication are the best choices for disaster recovery (GRS, RA-GRS, GZRS, RA-GZRS)
6 thoughts on “Microsoft Azure Storage Kind and Architecture”
Hello sir, This is Manohar. I read u r articles on Azure Storage and other Articles related to Azure. They are Simply superb and very easy to understand the concept. Thank you so much for your effort in providing technical knowledge to us. Presently am also working for Microsoft. If u r still in Microsoft, I want to contact you once. Plz provide me u r Microsoft teams ID or Microsoft email to my Personal Email. So, that i can contact you once.